The Importance of SEM for Your Website
In the marketing world, there are a variety of tools you can use to grow your business. SEO is the most well-known, but when we talk about SEO, it’s impossible not to mention SEM, as they go hand-in-hand.
Table of Contents
What is SEM?
SEM is a set of tools, techniques, and strategies that help increase the visibility and reach of your website on various search engines. SEM or Search Engine Marketing is online marketing, such as search ads or campaigns run on search engines such as Google or Yahoo. SEM also refers to online marketing on search engines that doesn’t require you to pay an ad fee.
Key Components of Search Engine Marketing
- Keywords: SEM is directly linked to search engines; therefore, the most important thing is to study the keywords that users use to find information. This can be a short message or a series of messages, such as ‘Primal’, or ‘Primal digital agency’.
- Text Ad: Attractive titles, descriptions, and customised links are all essential for SEM.
- Ad Group: A set of ads or campaigns that share similar targets. These allow you to control the ad budget and target more specific audiences.
- Search Network: The different places ads can be displayed. For example, if you advertise on Google, you can also set your ads to display on pages such as Google Shopping and Google Maps. If you buy Facebook ads, they’ll also show on Instagram.
- Impressions: The number of times your ad was shown on the results pages.
- Clicks: The number of times a user clicks on your ad.
- CTR (Click Through Rate): The % of people clicking on your ad.
- CPC (Cost Per Click): The cost incurred when people click on your ad. You can limit your budget.
- Quality level: A measure of the quality and credibility of your articles and ads. The higher the quality, the lower the CPC cost.
Advantages and Disadvantages of SEM
- You’re able to clearly see the results of your ads and use the data provided to inform your future marketing plans.
- You can view and edit your ads anytime, allowing you to react quickly to changes.
- You can set a budget, and you’ll only be charged when someone clicks your ad.
- You can get results faster and reach more people.
- SEM is great for businesses of all sizes.
- You must pay for advertising and can spend a lot if your campaign runs for a long time.
- The level of competition is high.
- Some users might choose to use plugins or block ads, which means you could waste money on a target that never sees your ad.
The Top Search Engines for SEM
Google Ads: Undeniably the most popular search engine, Google has developed a system that can support both SEO and SEM formats.
Bing Ads: Microsoft is another popular search engine, but Bing ads differ from other search engine tools in their use of keywords and photos and their pricing structure.
Yahoo! Ads: Yahoo! is another popular search engine in many countries. Yahoo! has been developed to support various SEM formats, including Search Ads, Display Ads, and Sponsored Ads.
As you can see, there are many things to consider regarding SEO and SEM. So, now you know what Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is, we hope you’re equipped with the knowledge to use it alongside Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) to create the results you desire for your business.